Friday, September 18, 2009

Is the First Lady Anti-Family???

The First lady, Michelle Obama, spoke to a group of family advocacy groups and health care professionals. Get what she said, as reported by Bloomberg.com:

Mrs. Obama said women are being “crushed by the current structure of our health care” because they often are responsible for taking care of family illnesses, arranging checkups and monitoring follow-up care.

“Women are the ones to do it,” she said to an audience of 140 people, including representatives from groups such as the Women’s Chamber of Commerce and the National Council of Negro Women. “Mothers are the ones that do it. And many women find themselves doing the same thing for their spouses.” Read the full article here:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aTUFlFQHNlEI

Now, I grew up with a stay at home mom. Whenever I had the sniffles, she was there with a tissue. When a viscous bee stuck me for the first time in kindergarten, she came and picked me up. When I stayed home from school, she would make me soup. When I got older and went away for high school and I felt a cold of some sorts coming on, she was the first person I spoke to. AND WE HAD INSURANCE!

So, as you can imagine, the First Lady has left me kinda of confused. Is she saying that the uninsured families around America have a harder time taking care of their children or is she saying that a government-run health care system would lessen the burden of raising children by swiping away the sick ones in the middle of the night? Hopefully a comprehensive health care bill will be passed that truly helps ease the costs of health care in the country and enables everyone to be covered. However, I hope and pray that when we get a strawberry on our kneed after falling off our bikes, or when we get our first stitches or when we need to be covered in pink lotion and take goo baths to ease the itching of chicken pocks, our moms will still be there to make us feel better, to give us a hug, to ease the pain and, yes Mrs. Obama, to sometimes take us to the doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment